Why is it that some people burn and others tan? That is a very good question that I am going to attempt to answer. I am going to use the American Academy of Dermatology to help me with this blog today.
What is Melanin?
In our skin we all have what is called Melanin, some of us have more than others and therefore have different color skin. This stuff is what causes us to burn or tan.
Here is what happens:
- Your body normally makes melanin to try to protect the deeper layers or skin from damage.
- When your skin is damaged by the rays of the sun, it makes even more melanin in order to try and protect your skin from being damaged even more.
- Dark skinned people usually turn a darker brown or tan when in the sun.
- Light skinned people usually turn a red color or burn when they are in the sun.
Ok so I recently have been posting about random topics rather then my experiences and I apologize but I am not constantly sick so I don't always have something to blog about. But you must agree that a topic blogged about is better than nothing.
So This last Saturday I went to a friends house with the Kiddos to go swimming in their pool. The sun was out and we were all having a blast. But I was an idiot and forgot that I am pale skinned adult with a lot of surface area to get the sun. Well needless to say I have a very badly burned back and was in a lot of pain come Saturday night. Yeah, I am pretty sure I got at least a 2nd degree burn on my shoulders seeing how they hurt the most and are blistering now.
So What can Doterra do For Sun Burns?
doTerra has a wonderful array of oils and blends that are recommended:
- Frankincense - known to repair DNA
- Lavender - known for its Anagesic and Antiseptic Properties
- Melaleuca - known for its Antibacterial properties
- Peppermint - known for its cooling affects
- Sandalwood - known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties
- Helichrysum - known for its skin regenerating properties